Friday, December 14, 2012

Artistic competition...

In general I have found that the competitive spirit can bring out some of the ugliest qualities in people. At the same time it can push people in a positive way.

Among artists, I have seen a wide array of competitiveness. I, myself have felt, wrestled and dealt with it.
I realize that there are many many artists out there trying to do what I am trying to do. And there are only so many galleries, buyers and exhibition spaces...
This can make artists competitive with one another.

Unfortunately it is true that there are thieves in every profession. It is wise to guard yourself artistically to a certain extent because there are some people out there who have ill motives.

If you have worked very hard for years to know your medium and express your vision with it , it can feel like a violation when an artist steps into your life and wants you to show them exactly how you do what you do. "I want you to show me how to paint like you do." (Please note- these scenarios are not an artist just wanting to learn a new medium or simply trying to understand my work)

Likewise, if you have spent years building your career and somebody you barely know or don't know at all (who is just starting out on their career path) asks you to hook them up with every connection you worked hard to make, you can feel like a line has been crossed.
"Hello my name is (somebody). I'm just starting to show my work. Looking at your résumé online, I see you have had some experience. Can you recommend me to the exhibitors you have worked with?"


But at the same time there is a healthy place of fellowship that can be had between artists. It is a hard thing to try and make a career out of your art. The support of fellow artists can truly be invaluable. I have been very blessed to have artists more advanced in their careers than i, encourage me and give me some pointers along the way. They have often been savers of my sanity!
I also aim to encourage fellow artists.

I was inspired to talk about this subject after a meeting with a fellow artist. While talented and having a vision of her own, she was having trouble with the encaustic medium. We did a private lesson, where I aimed to help her do what she was trying to do and as a fellow artist, encourage her to continue. She spoke of finding much opposition from other artists to help her. in a way, i could understand both sides of the scenario...

I spent some time trying to look up online psychological analysis about artistic competitiveness. This is one thing I found-

"How does competition either help or hurt creativity?
According to Mark A. Runco, author of Creativity, Theories and Themes: Research, Development, and Practice, all individuals are unique or idiosyncratic when it comes to the effects of competition.

For example, Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys did not handle competition well, becoming increasingly depressed with competitive pressures.

On the other hand, the Beatles probably benefited from the increasing competition between John Lennon and Paul McCartney, Runco states, quoting a 2006 study by Greg Clydesdale of Massey University.

The same study showed a similar competitive relationship between Georges Braque and Pablo Picasso who mixed competition and collaboration, similar to Lennon and McCartney.
Another psychology researcher, George Spurling, referred to the Picasso-Braque competition as a “rivalry that proved one of the richest and most productive in Western art.”

http://www.allpsychologycareers.com/topics/social-psychology-and-creativity.html


In general, as an artist i believe it is a matter of drawing a line. I will help people in many ways, but I will not put my name on the line by recommending somebody I don't know. Nor will i help people who seem to want to "steal" whatever secrets there may seem to be about how i do my work. ( I have had encounters with some rather brazen characters!)


Please understand that I will bring you into my studio if you want to come. I will even give pointers or a general introduction to
Encaustic. (Which has become rather fashionable ). I will certainly try to encourage fellow artists. I will talk about the personal meaning of my work and process, but at some point a line can be crossed and warning bells go off.

Please let me assure you that in the negative instances mentioned above, it became clear that the person had ill intentions.
While I aim for my career to continually advance, I am very grateful for the experiences that I have had and that I've been able to continue to do this. And I am exceedingly grateful for the support I have received along the way.

3 comments:

  1. I think that building a true artistic community is worth the risk of the thieves of which you speak. I was trained for the classroom, not as a gallery artist. 62 (and counting) rejections later, and I'm still willing to go out there and do the work. However, some tips from artists who have built mature careers would have been helpful. Being introduced to people who work in the field would have been helpful. I feel as though I have been searching in the dark; I have the skills, but how to get them out there?
    On the other hand, I have been teaching all my life and see the transmittance of knowledge from one soul to another as a beautiful thing. Jesus says, "Freely you have received; freely give." In my case, what I have abundantly received is education. I don't mean to indicate that you work for free or let people with ill motives abuse you; but there is a certain sort of person who just needs the right kind of person to walk beside them.

    I often think that we could be friends in real life--actual, honest, peer to peer friends. No motives, just the shared community of struggling to live the art's life, following Jesus simultaneously, and getting through the day by day.

    At any rate, I wish you luck without jealousy, success in abundance, and warmth (not simply from encaustic) in your home. Find souls and co-laborers who build you up, not steal or tear you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having some connection problems. I am very sorry if you received multiple replies.

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much for your comment. I agree with everything you said. I apologize if I did not express those things more clearly in my post.
      I applaud you for facing rejection and continuing on. I know it is not easy. It can take much less to discourage me at times.
      I took a look at some your images online and they are beautiful.
      Thank you for your blessings. I pray the same things for you.
      If you would like to talk further, feel free to contact me- contact@ebcbrown.com

      Delete