Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Reworking...

I have fallen prey to perfectionism, perhaps, to a fault.

If a painting is not particularly one of my best and it's not purchased after a while- I usually rework it. 

Scrape it down, melt it on high to a puddle and work into it again- reinspired from the remains. This has been my way of thinking for many years. 

Many an "unfit" painting has met its demise as a puddle on my studio floor. 

It's exspensive and laborious to construct new panels- so why not make something better from these seemingly "failed" pieces?

Recently, as I took back into possession a collection of pieces that fit the above description, Joel reminded me-
You're low on inventory and regardless of how you feel about them, these pieces are part of your postarity for our daughter and somebody might still fall in love with them.
And he is right.
Therefore "Beloved" was spared.





Two others from the group were not so "lucky". (And I will post photos of them soon);)

It's a new way of thinking- to stay my hand. To let the pieces that remain unsold sit and collect dust for my daughter's future possession or for the random buyer that likes them.

But it's beautiful and smart to do so. So, thank you my precious Joel, I will heed your wise advice.

It's a sad but true thing that I long ago accepted- 
My paintings will never be as valuable as they will be after my passing.
I must leave a legacy to my daughter and some room for a buyer to want a piece after it's perceived "heyday".

No comments:

Post a Comment