Sunday, September 16, 2012

After a conversation

The other night I had the pleasure of talking about my work to a couple that is interested in becoming collectors. The gentleman seemed to feel awkward asking questions about my work. He labeled himself a non-artistically minded person. I tried to put him at ease, but because I was working at the time, I couldn't give them my full attention. If I had the time this is what I would have said...
Its ok not to "get it".
And "getting it" is often a misunderstanding...
It's okay to ask questions.
Your interpretation has it's own merit.
(I certainly do not aim to confuse my viewers. If I reference something vague, it is because I do not want to limit the people who view my work in their personal interpretation.)
If it's abstract art in general that you don't "get"- that's ok! Let's talk- maybe I can help.
If you really want to try and understand my work in particular, come visit my studio and I'll walk you through the process, both of thought and action. I will do my best to put you in my shoes creatively. You can ask me just about any question that is on you're mind.
* * *
Of course artwork is a valid investment in of itself, but I do hope that the majority of people who purchase my work do so because they genuinely like, are moved by and/or want to look at it often.

I decided to share this because this is a common scenario. I thought that by putting it "out there" maybe somebody else might find it interesting to hear my point of view on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment