Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Surprise

This spring my daughter and I planted 4 watermelon seeds in the corner of our small yard. (She absolutely loves watermelons.) Expecting nothing to come of it, we were delighted when 6 watermelon seedlings popped up. We weren't sure how they became 6, but we were delighted none the less. They became massive plants and have grown over the fence and threatened to dominate the whole yard. We had our first signs of fruit a few weeks ago and I finally have to resign myself to the fact that these are not watermelon plants. The fruit was instead giant decorative gourds and Mimi pumpkins. Arg. The small gourd and mini pumpkin we tossed over in that corner last winter have won the yard.
Gone our my ideas of giving away all the extra watermelons and trying my hand at watermelon jelly.
So what do you do when life gives you an abundance of inedible gourds? Maybe we'll try to make art out of it? Just out of curiosity, I googled gourd art and was amazed by what came up. I'll let you know how they turn out, if I try it or maybe I'll just be amassing a large amount of autumn decorations.


http://www.gourdfestival.com

No comments:

Post a Comment