Friday, July 24, 2015

Prodigal child

12 years ago in art school, I created this piece, "Intervention". (Encaustic, oil and paper on canvas),

It was the last piece I made before moving into full abstraction, one of my first pieces experimenting in wax and by far (with the exception of murals) the largest piece I've ever done. 

At 72"x78", this piece dominates much needed space in my studio and is bigger than I can fit into my storage unit.

For many years a wonderful friend was willing to house it for me and look after it. Just recently I received the call that it needed to come "home".  So now it is in my studio.

What do you do with a painting that is an incumberance of creative space but possibility significant in the legacy of your body of work?
Incongruent with any of my current work but a part of the story on how you got there?

Honestly, I was overjoyed to see it again, but space continues to be the issue.
I've yet to figure it out, but I know I'd like to keep it as close as I can...



No comments:

Post a Comment