Friday, November 23, 2012

reaccuring themes 1

Often in my work there are titles/ideas that appear in my work repeatedly.
This is evidenced by a title followed by a "No.".
I thought it might be interesting to write about why i'm so fascinated by these certain things in my work.
To start off- i'm going to talk about a more recent theme...

"Nocturne"

The Merriam Webster online dictionary defines Nocturne as...

"Definition of NOCTURNE
 a work of art dealing with evening or night; especially: a dreamy pensive composition for the piano —
Origin of NOCTURNE
French, adjective, nocturnal, from Latin nocturnus
First Known Use: 1814"
 
(a simple definition in my terms- "ode to the night")
 
I have always been a night owl.  I work at night at a bar and i find i'm most creative after 10pm.  Since Annaleah was born, i have almost always only been able to work late into the night while she sleeps.  I saw that this started to come through in my work- dark paintings with diffused passages of light and color...
which inspired 2 paintings thus far to be titled "Nocturne".
 

"Nocturne"
2012
 

 
"Nocturne No.2"
2012
 
 
Being that my schedule will most likely remain unchanged, i would expect that this will continue to be a reoccurring theme in my work.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment