Saturday, November 10, 2012

Horrace Pippin

"Pippin's artistic talent appeared early; as a ten-year-old he won a box of crayons in an art contest. 'When I was a boy I loved to make pictures,' he later wrote, but it was the war 'that brought out all the art in me. . . . I can never forget suffering and I will never forget sunsets. So I came home with all of it in my mind and I paint from it today. ' Most of Pippin's earliest work is lost. Only one sketchbook remains from his numerous wartime drawings, which may be examined in his papers at the Archives of American Art in Washington, D. C."


Shame on me for not noticing it sooner! The person talked about in the above quote lived a stone's throw from my studio. I finally discovered this when I went to paint "Ode to West Chester" about a year and a half ago. I aimed to feature text from particularly moving historical placards in my town- only to find that one of the most poignant was so close all along. Please read about this great man and artist here:
http://explorepahistory.com/hmarker.php?markerId=1-A-1A0
(quote from http://explorepahistory.com/hmarker.php?markerId=1-A-1A0)

No comments:

Post a Comment