Saturday, July 30, 2016

So it goes

There are many facets to being a professional artist.
From my experience-
 There is the joy of creating. To labor with your whole heart in the solitude of the studio. To gather inspiration from the world around you and pour it into your work. 

There is the joy of exhibiting your work. Taking these pieces that you so long labored over and set them before the eyes of whatever viewer comes their way.  They may love it or hate it, but it is out there.

There is the career aspect. Looking for new exhibitions- new ways to get your work "out there". The joy when a great opportunity comes your way.  The pride in updating your resume with your latest accomplishments. The despair when a situation turns unfavorable. Rejection or worse not being able to get noticed.

The income aspect- you pay rent for the studio. You pay for supplies, to have your website and many other things. You do this in faith that paintings will sell. Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't...

The personal aspect- taking time away from your family, sometimes sacrificing sleep, to produce the work and maintain the business aspect. 

It can be daunting. At this point for me, so much time must be spent focused on home with my new little one. But my heart still yearns to take my career further. I ache to be in the studio more. And I worry... How will I get to the next "level"? How will I pay the rent? (Lord, please let me sell a painting soon).
But will I give up? No. It has always worked out somehow. I have sacrificed and worked too hard to stop now. 



.

No comments:

Post a Comment