Sunday, June 30, 2013

Reintroduction to Francis Bacon


Francis Bacon in his studio circa 1977
( thank you to the Artist and Studio website- http://artistandstudio.tumblr.com/)

I discovered this image online tonight.
At first I was amused and saved it to my photos on my phone to show to those who think that my studio is messy. 
But then I began to reacquaint myself with this brilliant mans dark work. It's haunting and sometimes disturbing to me. 

I stumbled upon these quotes by him-
"The creative process is a cocktail of instinct, skill, culture and a highly creative feverishness. It is not like a drug; it is a particular state when everything happens very quickly, a mixture of consciousness and unconsciousness, of fear and pleasure; it’s a little like making love, the physical act of love."

"My painting is a representation of life, my own life above all, which has been very difficult. So perhaps my painting is very violent, but this is natural to me."

"The men I painted were all in extreme situations, and the scream is a transcription of their pain. "

His obituary in the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/04/29/arts/francis-bacon-82-artist-of-the-macabre-dies.html?smid=pl-share

No comments:

Post a Comment