Saturday, June 6, 2015

Tonight...

Tonight I visited the city that I love. 
The cool steel and polished face of money
The gorgeous relics and noisy crowds.
The color and texture of the getto.
Rush to the beat
Umbrella warfare in the rain on busy streets
Every man for himself

Many years ago-
Sitting on the fire escape looking up between the walls at the ticker take.
Lost.
Whip at your back

Big home 
Nice car
Fine cloths
You are polished, neat and clean.
And at one time I thought that was success.
I spent my money on leather pants, ignored the bills, followed bands and was so lonely....

Now
Up to your elbows in dirt and debt.
Trying to keep up with the weeds
Cherishing the worms, and salamanders.
Ridding the garden of pests.
The beloved sparrow...
Whip at your back

A beautiful child you can never give enough to,
Artwork that you pour yourself over
Instead of sleeping, 
but there's still so much more growth to be had..
People in every facet, needing love and kindness.
An evening when all is quiet and you pray-
For your self, for your family, for everybody who stumbles upon your heart and mind....

Tonight I sit, thankful for life's twists and turns
With so much left to do
Thid work in progress life...
I need every ounce of grace I'm given
And I fear I take too much for granted.
Just desperately trying to keep up.

know I'm living a better life than I could have ever once imagined
In all my fire escape longing...
And despite whatever heartache in the process,
I am finally finding myself "home".

No comments:

Post a Comment