Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Learning

It can be difficult to find your way in something that your heart is invested in.

Through much of my life I've looked for a knight in white shining armor only to learn that the one to really be with is not some gallant, idealistic figure. Instead it is a good man who can meet me where i am and embrace me as such, but also help me to grow.

Though I aim to make a successful business of my art and approach it as a business, it deeply involves my heart. Therefore that same old romantic notion seeps into what should be my business plan. I suspect I am not alone. I imagine other artists hearing stories of wealthy benefactors "adopting" artists swoon, like me, and daydream...

But I do not need saving in the business of my art. i am (thankfulIy) not desperate. i should not let the fact that my heart is so involved in the creation of my work handicap my logic with romantic ideals when it comes to my career. It's one step at a time. It is knocking and looking for the right doors to open.

I believe that I am really supposed to pursue this career in art. How exactly it will progress is a journey in of its self. I need to make sure that I do not idealize anybody in the business sense of things, but instead look for a good fit.

It's funny how the same lessons in life come around again in different ways.

I realize this is a rather personal blog post. I'm putting it out there because I think that other artists may gain insight. Also, I think that those who appreciate my work may like a glimpse into what it's really like for me to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment